View more information visit Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics website.
This faculty member is associated with the Penn State Intercollege Graduate Degree Program (IGDP) in Materials Science and Engineering (MatSE) where a multitude of perspectives and cross-disciplinary collaboration within research is highly valued. Graduate students in the IGDP in MatSE may work with faculty members from across Penn State.
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research (PAST 15 YEARS)
- Lanagan, M. T. (Principal Investigator), "High Field Dielectric Research in Polymeric Compositions," DOW Chemical Company, $427,280, 7/1/2020-6/30/2022. This program will support one graduate student and one post doctor.
- Yang, Q. (Principal Investigator) Lanagan, M. T. (Co-Principal Investigator), "Breaking Spatiotemporal Barriers of MR Imaging Technologies to Study Human Brain Function and Neuroenergetics "," NIH, $1,600,000, 9/1/2018-8/31/2023. This program supports student Wuttichai Reainthippayasakul and Post Doctor Maryam Sarkarat.
- Yang, Q. (Principal Investigator) Lanagan, M. T. (Co-Principal Investigator), "Elementary Neuronal Ensembles to Whole Brain Networks: Ultrahigh Resolution Imaging of Function and Connectivity in Humans "," NIH, $1,416,524, 2/1/2017-1/31/2022. This program supported ESM Graduate Student Thane Bonnett.
- Rajagopalan, R. (Principal Investigator) Lanagan, M. T. (Co-Principal Investigator), Grant, "High field conduction in Silicone rubber"," 3M, $270,00.00, 2/1/2017-1/31/2019. This program supports Post Doctor Maryam Sarkarat.
- Lanagan, M. T. (Principal Investigator), Van Duin, A. (Co-Principal Investigator), "Trap-Related Localized Fields and Percolation Conduction within Dielectrics and Across Interfaces," DOW Chemical Company, $1,066,056, 3/1/2017-2/29/2020. This program supports four students in ME, Chem. E. and MatSE.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Hamedi, Hossein, Roger C. Walker, WH Hunter Woodward, Ramakrishnan Rajagopalan, Eugene Furman, and Michael T. Lanagan. "Transient behavior of electrical conductivity in low‐density polyethylene in the presence of acetophenone." Journal of Applied Polymer Science (2021): 51881.
- Lanagan, Michael, Tucker Brown, Steve Perini, and Qing X. Yang. "High frequency dielectric materials for medicine and telecommunications." Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 60, no. SF (2021): SF0801.
- Gandji, Navid P., Christopher T. Sica, Michael T. Lanagan, Myung‐Kyun Woo, Lance DelaBarre, Jerahmie Radder, Bei Zhang et al. "Displacement current distribution on a high dielectric constant helmet and its effect on RF field at 10.5 T (447 MHz)." Magnetic resonance in medicine 86, no. 6 (2021): 3292-3303.
- Akkopru-Akgun, Betul, Thorsten JM, Kosuke Tsuji, Ke Wang, Clive A. Randall, Michael T. Lanagan, and Susan Trolier-McKinstry. "Leakage current characteristics and DC resistance degradation mechanisms in Nb doped PZT films." Journal of Applied Physics 129, no. 17 (2021): 174102.
- Perini, Steven, Maryam Sarkarat, Danny Zhu, Brian Foley, and Michael Lanagan. "Broadband Dielectric Characterization from 10 mHz to 100 GHz of a 3D Printable Material." In Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy: A Modern Analytical Technique, pp. 77-89. American Chemical Society, 2021.
- Lanagan, Michael T., Ling Cai, Lisa A. Lamberson, Jingshi Wu, Elena Streltsova, and Nicholas J. Smith. "Dielectric polarizability of alkali and alkaline-earth modified silicate glasses at microwave frequency." Applied Physics Letters 116, no. 22 (2020): 222902.
- Sarkarat, Maryam, Michael Lanagan, Dipankar Ghosh, Andrew Lottes, Kent Budd, and Ramakrishnan Rajagopalan. "High field dielectric properties of clay filled silicone rubber composites." Materials Today Communications 23 (2020): 100947.
- Vecchio, Michael A.*, Amira Barhoumi Meddeb, Zoubeida Ounaies, and Michael T. Lanagan. "Conduction through plasma-treated polyimide: analysis of high-field conduction by hopping and Schottky theory." Journal of Materials Science 54, no. 14 (2019): 10548-10559.
- Telmer, Maxwell R.*, Martin Suner Hilario*, Brad W. Hoff, Michael T. Lanagan, and B. Reeja-Jayan. "Anisotropy of W-band complex permittivity in Al2O3." Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 31, no. 22 (2019): 225702.
- Rupprecht, Sebastian, Christopher T. Sica, Wei Chen, Michael T. Lanagan, and Qing X. Yang. "Improvements of transmit efficiency and receive sensitivity with ultrahigh dielectric constant (uHDC) ceramics at 1.5 T and 3 T." Magnetic resonance in medicine 79, no. 5 (2018): 2842-2851.