Dr. Zi-Kui Liu is a professor of Materials Science and Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University. He obtained his BS from Central South University (China), MS from University of Science and Technology Beijing (China), PhD from Royal Institute of Technology (KTH, Sweden). He was a research associate at University of Wisconsin-Madison and a senior research scientist at Questek Innovation, LLC. He has been at the Pennsylvania State University since 1999, the Editor-in-Chief of CALPHAD journal since 2001, and the President of CALPHAD, Inc. since 2013. He founded the NSF Center for Computational Materials Design and served its director from 2005 to 2014. Dr. Liu coined the name “Materials Genome®” in 2002 and his company, Materials Genome, Inc., owns its trademark.
Dr. Liu is a Fellow of TMS and ASM International. He served as the President of ASM International and a member of ASM International Board of Trustees and the TMS Board of Directors. He received the ASM J. Willard Gibbs Phase Equilibria Award, the TMS William Hume-Rothery Award, the ACers Spriggs Phase Equilibria Award, the Wilson Award for Excellence in Research from the Pennsylvania State University, and the Lee Hsun Award from Institute of Metals Research, Chinese Academy of Science. Dr. Liu’s current research activities are centered on first-principles calculations, machine learning, modeling of thermodynamic, kinetic and other properties including statistical mechanics, and their integration for understanding defects, phase stability, and phase transformations, and designing and tailoring materials processing and properties. He has graduated 31 PhD students and published over 590+ papers collected in Web of Science and in Google Scholar. He was the lead author of a textbook on Computational Thermodynamics of Materials published by Cambridge University Press. His research group web site is at www.phases.psu.edu.
- Fellow of TMS (2022)
- Dorothy Pate Enright Professor (2020)
- PyCalphad: Runner-up (2nd place) in 2019 NASA Software of the Year (SOY) Competition.
- Distinguished Professor, Pennsylvania State University (2018).
- William Hume-Rothery Award, TMS (2018).
- Lee Hsun Lecture Award on Materials Science, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences (IMR, CAS) (2015).
- J. Willard Gibbs Phase Equilibria Award, ASM International (2014).
- Brimacombe Medalist Award, TMS (2012).
- Faculty Mentoring Award, College of Earth and Mineral Science, Pennsylvania State University (2011).
- Wilson Award for Excellence in Research, College of Earth and Mineral Science, Pennsylvania State University (2008).
- Spriggs Phase Equilibria Award, The American Ceramic Society (2008).
- Fellow, ASM International (2007).
- ASM International Materials Science Research Silver Award (2007).
- Students’ Choice Faculty of the Year Award (2007), Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Penn State.
- Penn State MRL Xerox Award for B.S. thesis of Melissa L. Marshall, 2001.
- TMS Young Leader Award, 1998.
- China State Council Foreign Expert Lecturing Scholarship, 1998; China Natural Science Foundation Lecturing Scholarship, 1998; 3rd Prize of China National Key Projects, 1988; Excellent Undergraduate Mentor, University of Science and Technology Beijing, 1987.