Learn more about Vincent on the Physics Department website.
This faculty member is associated with the Penn State Intercollege Graduate Degree Program (IGDP) in Materials Science and Engineering (MatSE) where a multitude of perspectives and cross-disciplinary collaboration within research is highly valued. Graduate students in the IGDP in MatSE may work with faculty members from across Penn State.
Our research is best described as materials theory, broadly defined. We use a variety of techniques chosen to suit the problem at hand, ranging from first-principles density functional theory to dynamical mean field theory, empirical interatomic potentials, photonic bandstructures or effective continuum theories such as Landau-Ginzburg. Often, our work is computationally intensive, but sometimes just a pencil and paper is enough. Yikes! I'm on video- see a brief interview in Naples on properties of carbon nanotubes.
- Cristiano Nisoli, Nathaniel M. Gabor, Paul E. Lammert, J. D. Maynard, and Vincent H. Crespi. "Static and dynamical phyllotaxis in a magnetic cactus." Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, (2009): 186103.
- Cristiano Nisoli, Jie Li, Xianglin Ke, D. Garand, Peter Schiffer, and Vincent H. Crespi. "Effective temperature in an interacting vertex system: Theory and experiment on artificial spin ice." Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, (2010) 047205.
- Paul E.Lammert, Xianglin Ke, Jie Li, Cristiano Nisoli, David M. Garand, Vincent H. Crespi, and Peter Schiffer. "Direct entropy determination and application to artificial spin ice." Nature Physics 6, (2010) 786-789.
- O. Shklyaev, E. Mockensturm and V. Crespi, Modeling Electrostatically Induced Collapse Transitions in Carbon Nanotubes, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, (2011) 155501.
- S. Zhang, J. Li, J. Bartell, X. Ke, C. Nisoli, P. Lammert, V. Crespi and P. Schier, "Ignoring Your Neighbors: Moment Correlations Dominated by Indirect or Distant Interactions in an Ordered Nanomagnet Array," Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, (2011) 117204.
- S. Zhang, J. Li, I. Gilbert, J. Bartell, M. Erickson, Y. Pan, P. Lammert, C. Nisoli, K. Kohli, R. Misra, V. Crespi, N. Samarth, C. Leighton and P. Schier, Perpendicular Magnetization and Generic Realization of the Ising Model in Articial Spin Ice, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, (2012) 087201.
- C. Chia and V. Crespi, Stabilizing the Zigzag Edge: Graphene Nanoribbons with Sterically Constrained Terminations, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, (2012) 076802.
- Shklyaev, Oleg E., Eric Mockensturm, and Vincent H. Crespi. "Theory of Carbomorph Cycles." Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, (2013) 156803.
- Fellow American Association for the Advancement of Science (2020).
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (2007).
- Faculty Scholar Medal in the Physical Sciences, Penn State University (2000).
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development Award (1999).
- Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering (1998).