Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group): Use Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS) characterization tools to provide technical understanding and problem solving for various aspects of chemistry, materials science and physics in a corporate research environment in support of diverse businesses in the glass, ceramics and life sciences fields. Additional knowledge of adjacent techniques such as TEM, FIB, EPMA, EBSD are desirable. The candidate should display strong technical skills as they will be required to prioritize work, develop experimental plans, interpret data, and present results while interacting as part of interdisciplinary teams to help solve material and process related problems. The candidate must be able to handle multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced environment with strong critical thinking skills and sound decision making. The candidate is responsible for operating safely in the laboratory, following 5S protocol, and completing necessary instrument maintenance. Writing technical reports and contributing to intellectual property is also an expectation in this role.
Day to Day Responsibilities: Collaborate with experts in the Electron Microscopy and Sample Preparation areas to plan, collect and communicate characterization results to teams and stake-holders as needed
• Actively contribute to project planning, problem solving and engage in discussions to address characterization needs of the Science and Technology community.
• Makes technical presentations to customers.
Travel requirements (please note if international): < 5%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: standard business hours / flex when necessary, some nights and weekends
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration):
BS in technology area such as: chemistry, materials science, geology with 3+ years hands on experience with EM instrumentation. MS in a technology area such as: chemistry, materials science, geology with at least 1-year hands-on experience with EM instrumentation
Required Skills (These are skills that candidates must possess):
Fundamental understanding of materials science combined with excellent technical problem solving skills, particularly for inorganic materials
• Depth of knowledge of characterization of materials by various analytical imaging techniques such as SEM, TEM, FIB, Microprobe and Optical Microscopy
• Demonstrated strong analytical and data analysis skills
• Demonstrated desire to work hands-on in collecting analytical data
• Rigorous, customer focused and results oriented
• Clear, analytical thinking and problem solving approach.
• Very good communication skills and a strong ability to interact with team members and customers.
• Self-motivated and interested in long term technical growth in the characterization area.
• Ability to handle multiple and changing priorities.
Desired Skills (these are the skills that would be nice for candidates to possess):
• Understanding of Corning materials
• Image analysis skills
• Experience with other characterization techniques.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Open and engaged with the customer
• Results oriented and customer focused
• Ability to work as a team player and with diverse teams
• Excellent time management skills and able to handle multiple priorities
• Ability to take feedback constructively and use it for personal growth.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.