About the Program
Materials research conducted by iMatSE students and faculty lead to advances and discoveries that become the building blocks of tomorrow.
Through formal coursework in small classes and participation in cutting-edge sponsored research, students in the Intercollege Graduate Degree Program in Materials Science and Engineering enjoy a graduate education that prepares them well for their future careers.
iMatSE students in the Ph.D. or thesis-based M.S. program receive full funding (stipend and tuition) in the form of fellowships or research assistantships.
- Penn State ranked #1 in funded materials research in the US (NSF)
- Thesis-based Ph.D. and M.S. degrees
- Multi-disciplinary research programs and centers
- Over 50 MatSE and affiliated faculty members
- Approximately 180 current graduate students
- Specialized laboratories and shared facilities