Date posted: Friday, May 4, 2018
Universal Technology Corporation (UTC)
Research Scientist - Molecular Dynamics for Polymers
Universal Technology Corporation (UTC) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Research Scientist. The successful candidate will join a diverse team of scientists and engineers in the Composites Performance Research Team within the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate of the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). He or she will contribute to ongoing research projects and have the opportunity to propose, design, and carry out new research efforts within the broader scope of the group's research mission, which focuses on the characterization, testing, and behavior and lifing of multifunctional and structural composite systems for Air Force applications.
In particular, this position will support ongoing projects simulating the evolution of damage in neat and reinforced polymer systems. The candidate will provide expertise to the research team in atomistic modeling and support development of a computational damage simulation suite. In-depth knowledge of and experience with molecular dynamics (MD) techniques is particularly valuable, including classical MD, coarse grained MD, density functional theory (DFT) and quantum mechanics. The position is well suited for a recent Ph.D. or with directly relevant experience.
* Classical MD, coarsed grain MD, DFT, peridynamics, and quantum mechanics simulations
* Algorithm development and programming implementation for high performance computing frameworks
* Theoretical development in quantum mechanics, quantum chemistry, or transition state theory
* Spatial or temporal multiscale analysis methods
* Modeling of damage evolution in composite materials
* Preparation of research findings in technical reports, manuscripts, and presentations
* U.S. citizenship
* Ph.D. in materials science, chemistry, physics, mathematics, or related discipline
* Good communication skills, both written and verbal, and team-oriented approach